Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

Spinach, Potato & Mushroom Seasoned Scone-Based Pizza with Pesto Sauce - experiment!

Spinach, Potato & Mushroom Seasoned Scone-Based Pizza with Pesto Sauce - experiment!
Tonight, with my minimal fridge supplies, I decided to resort to a more pantry orientated meal.

Base:
I combined some ideas I got from Vegan Now! And a scone based pizza recipe I googled:

·         2 cups of Flour
·         2 tea spoons of Baking Powder
·         Pinch of Salt
·         30g (2 and a bit tbsp) Margarine (vegan of course)
·         1 Cup of Soy Milk
·         1 ground Linseed/Flaxseed egg replacement
Dough-y 
Method
·         Combine the ground linseed/flaxseed with water
·         In large, separate bowl sift Flour, Baking Powder and Salt
·         Add butter (soft or room temperature) by pinching with fingers until lumps are out
·         Then add milk and egg replacer
·         Work until all flour pockets are combined

You might want to experiment with quantities – I tend not to work off exact measurements.  According to the recipe in 
Vegan Now! You don’t actually need the egg replacement, but I find that the base tends to be too crumble-y otherwise.  You can also use wholemeal flour, or self rising (in which case you wouldn’t use 
the baking powder).  Also, another tip I got from VN! is to add herbs to the dough base to give it extra flavour.

Now turn the dough into something base looking.  
You can either; roll it out between two pieces of baking paper and remove the top layer after you have your desired width and thickness, or alternatively, 
you can work on a well floured space.  I actually just floured the baking tray, placed the ball on the centre and worked it out

Pesto Sauce
·         Basil
·         Chopped Garlic
·         Oil
·         Vegan Parmesan (I’ve also read that ground almonds create a ‘cheesy’ flavour )
Method
·         Combine in blender

Bring it altogether!
·         Spread pesto sauce onto base
·         Add desired toppings, I have used
o   Sliced potato
o   Spinach
o   Mushroom, &
o   Rosemary – yum!
I also sprinkled some more vegan Parmesan - totally optional
·         Place in a 240C preheated oven to cook for 15-20 minutes



This is what I did and I found that it was a little bit dry.  This could be compensated by some ‘wetter’ toppings or drizzling some sauce on the top; perhaps a tomato based one, maybe plum sauce? Or perhaps even just some olive oil?
It’s also been suggested that I’m hyper critical of my cooking... and it did pass the roommate test! Let me know how it goes if you try yourself :)  

- michelle

1 comment:

  1. I have the same issue with spinach pizza. I don't want it crispy so I hide it under toppings or sauce but olive oil would make it crispier, so drizzle it after you take it out of the oven. Or add more juicy toppings. Mushrooms are great and add tomatoes and zucchini. That said, your flavours look great. I can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete