Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

Why I Became a Vegan

Photo source
So I sent this email to my brother the other day because I’m trying to convert him to vegetarian/veganism (from here to be referred to as ‘vegism’ ) Well, no, I’m not really trying to convert him, just trying to get him to think about the reasons why I have and whether that is something he believes in. I find that a lot of people don’t really think about what they are eating and where it came from. Kind of like religion in that people are born and raised as a certain religion and stay in that religion because that is what they know and perhaps they don’t even think about it. Of course this is a generalisation, but I know that it does happen. Similarly, I know people who eat meat yet cannot look at when it is covered in blood, or in fact eat it if it still resembles the animal. Personally, I don’t think that is right and that is one of the reasons I give when people ask me why I’m vegan; I couldn’t kill an animal myself, so I don’t think I can justify eating it, it would be kind of hypocritical I think. I especially couldn’t justify it if my reasoning was; ‘but it’s just so tasty!’ So yeah, here is my journey to veganism, or to where I am in it, not that it’s a destination as such.

I became vegetarian about 4 years ago. I'd always had an inclination towards it, but never acted on it because I was worried that I would not be healthy, also I didn't want to make it harder for Mum with cooking or how that would all work out. So I researched it a lot more and talked it over with my parents and we came to a compromise of sorts; they totally respected my decision as long as I made sure I ate healthily.

I think what really drove me to take the step was chicken. Admittedly, that stuff is tasty, as is most meat (from what I remember) but chickens can be so, so gross. Firstly, they live in their own shit; secondly, when mum used to make spaghetti sauce she'd put chicken drumsticks in with it. This would make the meat all soft, flavoursome and easy to eat, but they would have all these little bones and weird black stuff on the bone and yuck. Also KFC chicken, sometimes it isn't cooked totally and you can see the little arteries and stuff :( Anyway, chicken was the biggest motive and continues to be the biggest turn off.

Also there is the issue of inhumane farming and killing of animals. There are so many documentaries online about this and I think the one that best covers all the issues is Earthlings; the first part of which is here:
Earthlings Part 1 - youtube
I warn you though, it is a little lengthy and very graphic. In fact I've only watched the first bit because I can't stomach seeing this kind of stuff - but I guess that is why I'm vegan!

Photo source
So, after a few years of being vegetarian I became vegan. Mostly I was curious about it, like, what would I eat? What is it like to be vegan? Truthfully, sometimes it's pretty damn annoying, I mean, there is a growing number of vegans around (especially in cities) but it’s still quite uncommon, so sometimes it is hard to find food when you're out. But I find it's even harder at other people's houses and at parties because people are just not used to catering for that lifestyle. So everyone will be eating the yummy looking food and happily bonding over it and I'm chilling out with my salad feeling all left out and forgotten.

But despite that, I just cannot justify, well, mainly eating meat, but also using any animal product or exploiting animals in any way. I don't need to eat animals or eggs or honey or drink milk to be healthy, nor to be satisfied. Essentially, if I did I would just be doing it because I was selfish or greedy. I read an article recently which really effectively summed up the vegan lifestyle and explored why the author chooses a vegan lifestyle. She basically says that we don’t NEED to exploit animals like we do, you can read it here:
Vegan Clothing Explained

So that is a pretty quick summary of how I got to where I am with my vegism. Are you a vegan or vegetarian? Why did you choose to become one? Or why do you choose not to?

- michelle

6 comments:

  1. Michelle!
    I love the idea of your blog; it's fantastic.

    We both know I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan but I can appreciate and respect why people do become vegans/vegetarians.

    I wish I could live a life without animal products, but I don't think I could. But I think movements like "Meat Free Mondays" are definitely something anyone can do, without having to change their lifestyle too drastically.

    Take care dear!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. erika - Thanks! :)

    I've heard of the 'Meat Free Monday' idea before, I think it's great. It would also be a really good way to 'ease' yourself into a vegism lifestyle, if that is what you wanted of course.

    It's interesting you think you couldn't live without animal products. Which specifically do you think and why? If you don't mind sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah great blog. I've recently shifted from life-long veggie to being more vegan. I think the gradual shift helps and is far less scary than going cold turkey with cheese. Mind you, I've gone from dairy to soy pretty easily...

    I wrote a piece on this myself not too long ago. No idea if you'd be interested, but here it is: http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/we-should-all-love-animals-not-in-a-weird-way

    Anyway, seeing blogs like this out there is actually pretty supportive in this transition of mine, so thanks! D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dan,

    Funnily enough I had read your article before :) I don't fully agree with some of your points (laughing at vegans! :P) I love seeing people thinking and talking about the ethics of our food.

    There is a HUGE community of vegans online (as you've probably found) which is really cool and especially handy when you've got hardcore cheese cravings. Another thing that helps get over the whole cheese thing is to think about why you're refraining from eating it in the first place.

    Good luck on your transition! Also, I'm starting up a new blog to be launched sometime soon, so keep an eye out if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I hope you left a nice comment. ;o)

    Seriously, apologies for any offense caused. You see, that 'laughing at the vegans' was a two-pronged joke - one to get the meat eaters to laugh along (and make it easier for them to keep an open mind about what I was trying to say) and the other to basically admit that my long-term vegetarian moral high ground was extremely compromised. Because, in the end, the joke was really on me. ;o)

    Personally I think we should all be at least vegetarian, if not vegan. Unfortunately that 'all or nothing' approach never works with anybody, so I tried a slightly craftier path, by suggesting it's ok to take small steps. Which is a more logical transition anyway. Hopefully it swayed a few people. Butterflies and hurricanes, etc.

    My transition is going slowly, but it IS going. I have some tofu cheese in the fridge. I will use the term 'cheese' loosely, but it's not as bad as I had feared. So the transition continues.

    I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that blog. Good luck with it. In the meantime I'm going to try that Tofu Scramble recipe of yours, which looks simply fantastic (mine won't look anything like it though)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, that's okay, I totally understand.

    Ahhhh, soy cheese! :P

    Thank you! I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete